Tuesday 21 October 2008

Getting ND10 Exposures Right

After seeing some great shots by a Flickr photographer Ian Branham I was keen to attempt some similar slow shutter exposures during the day using an ND10 filter.

An example of Ian's great work is below:Upon reading the description I rushed down to my local camera shop to purchase the darkest Cokin P Series ND filter I could.

I was informed to stack an ND8 along with my current ND4 to produce a similar effect. This by no means produced the same results and gave a horrible artificial red tinge (OK I know the picture above is black and white but I am sure that it was correctly coloured from the offset). I scratched my head for ages and thought that it must be something that I was doing wrong.

It turns out that this is a common complaint and is summed up perfectly within the following thread/entry:

Cokins not so neutral density filter

I am therefore going to switch to either the B&W filters (as used by Ian, thanks for the info) or the Lee Filters, yet more cost!! Hopefully I will have some results to post soon and will be happy with the output from these.

A useful article that I found for determining the rating of these filters is:

Single Serving Photo - Neutral Density Filters

1 comment:

Steve Castle said...

Another good way of getting these shots is to actually get the ND10 or ND X Filter... A full 10 stops. Using combos of ND8 and ND 4 aren't gonna get you the right effect, especially during the day.

Infrared in B&W is similar too. Processed in mono the long exposure effects look great!